Alkaline Water: Benefits and Risks
The pH level of the water determines its level of acidity. The pH level ranges from 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is considered impartial or neutral. If water is below 7 on the pH scale, it is "acidic." If it is above 7, it is "alkaline." It is known that water is made of hydrogen and oxygen and hence known as H2o. The pH level in the water is calculated by the number of hydrogen ions present in the water. High levels of hydrogen ions in water yield a low pH (acidic substance) while low levels of hydrogen ions increase the pH level (alkaline substance). According to research, the pH level of faucet water must be between 6.5 to 8.5. The alkaline level of bottled water generally has a pH level above 7.
Benefits of Alkaline water
- Neutralizes acids in the body
- Boosts immune system
- Supports weight loss
- Detoxifies and cleanses the body
- Strengthens muscles and joints
- Help improve blood flow
- Increase oxygen distribution in the body
- Moisturizes skin and improves complexion. It is very helpful for people who perform strenuous exercises, as they require reserved water in their cardiovascular system.
- Promotes regular bowel movements. It is found that symptoms of the condition improve after drinking alkaline water with a pH level of 8.5 for at least 8 weeks.
- Alkaline is said to affect bones as it contains minerals like magnesium and calcium. Mineral water that is rich in alkali decreases the assimilation of old bones or the destruction of bone mass more than acidic mineral water.
- A study conducted on brittle bones concluded that alkaline-rich food and beverages help neutralize acidity and regulate the pH level which prevents the disease of osteoporosis.
- Acidity or acid reflux is a condition in which the acidic contents of the stomach flow back up into the esophagus. The condition may be detrimental and may lead to developing gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Alkaline water with a pH level of 8.8 has been shown to stop enzymes associated with acid reflux. It also reduces the acidity of the gastric contents.
- According to research, a decrease in hypertension, high blood pressure, and blood sugar levels is noticed after drinking alkaline water for 3-6 months.
- Scientifically, the water molecules in alkaline water are easily absorbed by the cells, helping the body rehydrate faster.
- Alkaline water is rich in powerful antioxidants that block the cell and free radical damage in the body that further accelerates the damaging process.
Risk factors: Is Alkaline water safe to drink?
It is recommended to consume only 2 liters of alkaline water daily. Drinking excessive alkaline water daily or over a long period can lead to alkalosis. Symptoms of alkalosis include nausea, tremors, and muscle twitches. Although the condition is rare there is a probability of developing it if consumed at a higher rate. One must immediately contact the doctor in this case.
The majority of the side effects are associated with artificial alkaline water rather than natural alkaline water. Extreme alkalinity in artificial alkaline water can reduce the natural acidity of the stomach. The acid or the digestive juice in the stomach breaks down the food and fights bacteria and harmful organisms. Consuming too much of this type of alkaline water can lead to dry, itchy, and irritated skin. However, people with kidney problems are recommended to avoid any kind of alkaline water. While drinking artificial alkaline water, one must limit the amount to less than 2 liters. To avoid alkalosis, it is crucial to not consume alkaline-rich water at a stretch for more than three months.
How to make natural Alkaline water at home?
It has been an age-old practice in India to store water in copper containers. The copper purifies and increases the alkalinity of the water. Consuming water from a copper water bottle benefits an individual both physically and mentally. For instance, some of the benefits of a copper water bottle include boosting metabolism, regulating blood pressure, and the functioning of the cardiovascular system, and balancing the three doshas.
An individual copper bottle is the safest and the most affordable way to make your alkaline-rich water. Copper has anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties which purify the water. Copper-infused water is believed to be a powerful antioxidant that boosts immunity and cleanses the body by eliminating toxic harmful toxins from the body. The longer the water is left in the copper bottle the higher the pH level. Furthermore, copper water bottles also require less cleaning than other water bottles due to disinfecting properties.
To ensure safety and authenticity, the copper water bottle must be purchased from a trusted retailer. Holistic Kart is a wellness product center that sells genuine copper water bottles. Their wide variety of copper bottles includes elegant Printed Copper Water Bottles and Hammered Copper Water Bottles. The metallic brown color with surface texture and the eccentric designer copper bottles stand out among the rest.
According to the World Health Organization, one should limit the intake of copper to 2mg per liter. The method to prepare copper-infused water involves pouring lukewarm or room temperature water into the copper bottle and leaving it overnight for 6-8 hours. Lukewarm water or room temperature water facilitates the process. One can use faucet water or filtered water for this.
Read more about how to safely drink water from a copper water bottle in the link below. https://holistickart.com/blogs/copper-bottle/is-it-safe-to-drink-water-from-copper-bottle